Our Journey Begins
- Gaspar Flores Sr. buys out his original partners and continues building Su Familia with the support of his wife, Gloria Flores (left), and co-founder, Nelly Lara (right).
- The team spends countless hours overcoming challenges, executing ideas, and helping families find and sell their homes.
- Mr. Gaspar uses all of his savings to purchase Su Familia's first location on Cermak between the Pilsen and Little Village neighborhoods
- Although the purchase was a huge risk, Mr. Flores was determined to help create generational wealth and financial freedom for families in the community.
Why the Name "Su Familia"
- Regardless of our background, we are here to support each other, like Family.
- We believe Family is inclusive and helps us develop a sense of identity and belonging.
- Our goal is to help people pass down traditions, values, and beliefs, and provide a sense of continuity and stability.
9/11 Disrupts the Economy
- Following the attacks, the US economy experienced a significant downturn, and many businesses did not survive the aftermath.
- However, many small businesses, including Su Familia, demonstrated resilience and creativity in adapting to the new economic reality.
- Su Familia streamlined business operations and established new emergency guidelines.
Gaspar Flores Sr. helps establish NAHREP Chicago
- Mr. Flores recognizes that a unifying organization can help more Latinos achieve sustainable homeownership
- Early involvement helps Su Familia establish a national presence.
- NAHREP Chicago starts with 16 members and now has 3 chapters with over 1000 members in Illinois.
Su Familia Helps Overturn HB4050
- HB4050 targets black and brown neighborhoods, making it difficult for families to obtain home loans.
- Su Familia brings together agents, lenders, and families from the affected neighborhoods and organizes events, creating awareness about the predatory lending rules hidden within HB4050.
- Su Familia agents go from home to home to inform families.
Su Familia Obtains Freddie Mac Certification
- The Market Crash led to a record number of foreclosed homes. Banks needed brokerages to help sell foreclosed homes.
- The certification process to manage Federal Home Loan Mortgage REOs is thorough.
- Requires brokerages to have a clean record of delivering results, local and national presence, and as well as healthy financials.
- Su Familia has maintained certification for over 13 years.
Nelly Lara Named Managing Broker of the Year by CAR
- Out of 1,000s of brokerages in Chicagoland, Nelly Lara takes home the REALTOR® Managing Broker Award.
- The award symbolizes excellence, exceptional skills, hard work, and dedication.
- Chicago Association of REALTORS® is the largest real estate organization in Illinois, with over 17,000 members.